How To Get Something Removed From The Credit Bureau

In order to have an erroneous derogatory item removed from your credit report, you will need to contact the credit reporting companies directly. First, you will need to obtain a copy of your credit report. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you may obtain a free credit report once every 12 months.

Step 1 - Obtain Your Free Credit Report

You may request your free credit report at Alternatively, you may visit Equifax, Experian and TransUnion online and order a copy of your credit report for a fee. The general credit report will usually cost between $3.00 and $11.00.

You may also request a free credit report if you:

  • have been denied credit recently
  • are currently unemployed
  • are on public assistance
  • have been a victim of identity theft

Additionally, if you have been denied credit from a company you will receive a letter of denial stating which credit agency was used in determining your denial. You may request your free report from the credit agency that was used. The timeframe for requesting your free credit report is usually 60 days.

Step 2 - Check For Inaccuracies, Dispute

Once you have received your credit report, you will need to review your credit report to be sure it is accurate. If you have erroneous items, you can dispute them online by visiting the three main credit agency websites.

Begin with Equifax, scroll down to Correct Errors, click on Start a New Dispute. Go through the dispute process. After finishing the dispute process, continue to the next credit agency. When visiting the Experian website, you will need to scroll down to Credit Report Assistance and click on Disputes, again going through the dispute process. Next, you will visit TransUnion and scroll down to Customer Assistance and click on dispute an item, then follow the dispute process again.

Step 3 - The Dispute Process

When visiting the sites and going through the dispute process, you will be able to choose which accounts you want to dispute and state the reason for the dispute. Once your information is collected, the credit agency will begin an investigation.

The credit agency must promptly investigate the matter with the source that provided the information. If the creditor cannot verify the information within 30 days, the item must be removed from the credit report.

Some examples that warrant investigations include:

  • incorrect account number
  • duplicate account
  • incorrect balance
  • incorrect later
  • the account is not yours

There are also cases in which you would request the item to be removed because the age of the debt is too old. As a general rule, negative information in your credit file that is more than seven years old must be removed. Additionally, bankruptcies that are more than ten years old must be removed as well.

In addition to disputing credit or account errors, you may also dispute any other information that is contained in your credit report that may be incorrect.