Familiarizing Yourself With Payroll Tax Forms

Payroll tax forms are used by employers to file their periodic payroll taxes.  The required forms are filed with the IRS and are used by employers as well as third-party payroll preparers.  The forms needed to file payroll taxes can be obtained directly from the IRS or through a vendor that prepares taxes.

Forms to become Familiar with

Forms that an employer should become familiar with when filing their federal payroll taxes include the following:

  • Form 940: Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return
  • Form 940-EZ: Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return
  • Form 941: Employer's QUARTERLY Federal Tax Return
  • Form 944: Employer's ANNUAL Federal Tax Return
  • Form 943: Employer's Annual Federal Tax Return for Agricultural Employees
  • Form W-2: Wage and Tax Statement
  • Form W-3: Transmittal of Wage and Tax Statements

In addition to these forms, some states may require the filing of additional wage statements for payroll taxes.  A professional or software package provided by a recognized third-party payroll tax preparer can assist in determining the appropriate forms to file.